Company

Halfway between the slopes of the rolling hills of Erice, and the ruins of the splendid Segesta, standsAgriturismo Don Carlo srl , a farm, predominantly olive-growing, with agritourism.

The Zichichi family, which has owned the farm since the second half of the 1800s, has always reserved a place of absolute importance for olive cultivation, aiming for excellence in cultivation systems and the quality of the final product.

For several years now, our oil has been granted protected designation of origin (PDO) status, and it is produced according to organic farming standards.

THE TERRITORY AND VARIETY

The olive groves-with more than 2,000 trees of which about 1,000 are centuries old and the others with an average age of about 25 years, of varieties Cerasuola and Nocellara del Belice (90 percent) and Biancolilla (10 percent)-are located in the municipality of Erice, at an average altitude of 150 meters (500 feet). The area is hilly, with about 10 percent slope, mild climate and limestone soil. Cerasuola offers fragrance that lingers over time, Nocellara del Belice aromaticity, Biancolilla sweet flavor and fresh sensations. The result of these three varieties, which are characteristic of Sicily, is an oil that has an herbaceous feel to the nose followed by notes of green tomato and balsamic hints. In the mouth, the soft texture matches the bitterness combined with the lingering spiciness.

STORAGE AND PACKAGING

DOP BIO FIL TERED: The oil must is immediately filtered and stored in stainless steel containers under nitrogen, which prevents oxygenation, in the temperature-controlled warehouse adjacent to the oil mill.

BIO UNFILTERED: The unfiltered oil is stored in stainless steel containers under nitrogen, which prevents oxygenation, in the temperature-controlled warehouse adjacent to the mill; in March it is decanted into other containers to separate it from the solid residue-the sludge-that has settled to the bottom. The extra virgin olive oil is then ready to be bottled in dark glass.

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

Olive cultivation in Western Sicily originated as early as the 6th century B.C. first with the Phoenicians and later developed with the Greeks. Our farm stands on the rolling hills ofAgro Ericino where for more than four generations we have cultivated 2000  centuries-old olive trees that yield an oil with an unmistakable fragrance and taste.

Farming wisdom and the pursuit of quality have enabled us to obtain the Protected Designation of Origin.

The oil is obtained from olive groves of Cerasuola and Nocellara del Belice, more than 90 percent, and Biancolilla for the remaining 10 percent. The olives, hand-picked between October and November, are immediately transported to the mill in aerated boxes and immediately milled.

Our oil is controlled by the Chamber of Commerce of Trapani after testing and analysis by the Chemical Laboratory of the Customs Agencies.oltu

We are in the 2023 Extra Virgin Guide: all the Slow food presidium oils

We are part of the Slow Food Presidium of the Ancient Olive Trees.

IT_SF_presidio - Olivi secolari V